How can I stop worrying and learned to love the vine

I admit, I misjudged the vine. Here is why.

One of the first things I read about the vine, Twitter standalone video new application for iPhone and iPod Touch, has been gushing tweeter Jack Dorsey on the service. "The vine is the most exciting thing I've seen in a while," Dorsey, Twitter co-founder (and founder of the Place), tweeted yesterday morning. "Not only because of the team, as he brings an art form quite new to the world."

I have great respect for Dorsey - after all, this is a man who helped change the way the world communicates and then repeated that success in helping to change the way the world pays for things. But I tend to turn a deaf ear when a frame is so effusive in praising one of its own products or its business. And that's what happened here: I praise Dorsey automatically updated and ignored the possibility that the vine can indeed offer the world a new form of art.

It is also true that I have not spent enough time with the app at first, and therefore I misunderstood what it was. I saw it as a mere six seconds video loop. Obviously, the digerati he anointed the thing of the day, but I chalked that up momentum by Twitter. I thought it was derived, and even a little boring - this stuff can make you crazy loop. I tweeted that if the vine was quite a standalone product, and not launched by Twitter, that some people crazy. Once the buzz has died down, people quickly tire of another video application, and within a week or two, Vine would vanish.

Fast forward a few hours, however, an IM conversation I had with my colleague Jennifer Van Grove CNET. She said she had thought more about the vineyard, and she would come to "understand why this is interesting [and] why he could do nothing."

In a little stream of consciousness, Van Grove rolled a few reasons why she thought vine might actually have some value: It makes the mundane seem interesting without requiring a lot of work by the user without the play button, the application presented no barrier to entry, it was as if something Tumblr has built and offered little attraction for teenagers, like Snapchat. "As much as I wanted to stay this is stupid," Van Grove said: "When I used it, I had fun. I was surprised, and I'll use it."

When I got home, I pulled out the purposes of the show to my wife, who had not seen. As I did, I came across some videos that have been selected as Editor's Picks. The first to catch my attention was one in which a banana was first seemed quite and frame, missing a piece at a time, as if by magic. On a loop, it was particularly clever, because as soon as the banana was gone, it reappears again and again.

Unfortunately, a current limitation of the vine is that there is no way to get a code for an integrated individual item, unless you can find a tweet in which it is provided. As a result, there is no easy way for me to show the video of the banana. Here is a vine I turned, featuring the ability to draw several different times and connecting them together:
It is now clear to me that I completely misunderstood how the vine. Of course, you can use it to take a video uninterrupted six seconds, but how mundane is that? In fact, the actual value of the tool is that it allows you to easily create a video with six seconds each time tinkering in a final product. This opens up a whole world of short narrative possibilities. For example, a major publisher posted a Vine today present their next versions. They could have just pan a book to another in a shooting without interruption, but it was much more dramatic. Indeed, in the early going, almost all of the most interesting vineyards make full use of the tool stop-motion/extended GIF capacity, including the first ever published by Twitter CEO Dick Costolo, someone cook a special dish. A personal favorite of mine - alas, another that I can include here, shows a line appearing on a piece of paper, then morphing someone's hand, curving around, striking the palm and turning the word " end ", as in what you might see at the end of an art film.

At the moment, I thought again tweeter Dorsey in the morning. Perhaps it was not so far away. Vine has its limits, and it is too early to tell if it will have the legs, but I came to the conclusion that this is actually a new art form. Put in the hands of skilful, artistic types, it is very likely to be an inexhaustible source of pleasure, interesting videos to come along - accompanied, of course, an infinite number of useless beings.

It is not that the vine has no real problems. I'm still not convinced of the loop thing, and I wonder if over time, they provide a means of extinguishing it when viewing a vine. At the same time, it does not seem to be a way to share videos of others - you can not someone else tweeter vine, in other words. And it will be hard for the service to grow just as quickly without allowing this kind of sharing. But I guess these are the characteristics that emerge over time.

Anyway, although I expect a whole community of people who will emerge revolve around interesting, innovative Vines. Remember that this is exactly what Instagram has taken off - giving people attracted by the artistic photography an easy to use, and more importantly, an easy way to share their own creations and see others. Boom! Ninety million active users.

Is that the vine has hit 90 million users? We are a long, long, long way from there. But behind Twitter and an enthusiastic community, I'm not willing to bet against it. At least, not anymore
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © trends ksr Design by Trends | Blogger Theme by Trends | Powered by VenkatSiva

google-site-verification: google275ce468b0c3e392.html